Kent, Thomas. “On the Very Idea of a Discourse Community.” CCC 42.4 (1991): 425-445.
ccc42.4 Discourse World Beliefs DDavidson Theory JTrimbur Community DiscourseCommunities Knowledge Others Language Passing SocialConstruction Interpretation KBruffee PBizzell
- Bakhtin, M. M. Speech Genres and Other Late Essays. Trans. Vern W. McGee. Ed. Caryl Emerson and Michael Holquist. Austin: U of Texas P, 1986.
- Bartholomae, David. “Inventing the University.” When a Writer Can’t Write. Ed. Mike Rose. New York: Guilford, 1985. 134-65.
- Bernstein, Richard J. “One Step Forward, Two Steps Backward: Richard Rorty on Liberal DeÂmocracy and Philosophy.” Political Theory 15 (Nov. 1987): 538-63.
- Bizzell, Patricia. “Beyond Anti-Foundationalism to Rhetorical Authority: Problems Defining ‘Cultural Literacy.”’ College English 52 (Oct. 1990): 661-75.
- Bruffee, Kenneth. “Collaborative Learning and the ‘Conversation of Mankind.'” College English 46 (Nov. 1984): 635-52.
- Cavell, Marcia. “The Subject of Mind.” International Review of Psychoanalysis, forthcoming.
- Dasenbrock, Reed Way. “Do We Write the Text We Read?” College English 53 (Jan. 1991): 7-18.
- Davidson, Donald. “A Coherence Theory of Truth and Knowledge.” Truth and Interpretation: Perspectives on the Philosophy of Donald Davidson. Ed. Ernest LePore. New York: Blackwell, 1986. 307-19.
- —. “Communication and Convention.” Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation. Oxford: Clarendon, 1986. 265-80.
- —. “Epistemology Externalized.” Unpublished essay, 1990.
- —. “A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs.” Truth and Interpretation: Perspectives on the PhilosoÂphy of Donald Davidson. Ed. Ernest LePore. New York: Blackwell, 1986.
- —. “On the Very Idea of a Conceptual Scheme.” Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation. OxÂford: Clarendon, 1986. 183-98.
- —. “The Second Person.” Unpublished essay, 1989.
- Derrida, Jacques. “Signature Event Context.” Glyph 1. Ed. Samuel Weber and Henry Sussman. Baltimore: John Hopkins UP, 1977. 172-97.
- Fish, Stanley. Is There A Test in This Class?: The Authority of Interpretive Communities. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 1980.
- Harris, Joseph. “The Idea of Community in the Study of Writing.” CCC 40 (Feb. 1989): 11-22.
- Herrington, Anne J. “Classrooms as Forums for Reasoning and Writing.” CCC 36 (Dec. 1985): 404-13.
- Kent, Thomas. “Paralogic Hermeneutics and the Possibilities of Rhetoric.” Rhetoric Review 8 (Fall 1989): 24-42.
- Kuhn, Thomas S. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1962.
- LeFevre, Karen Burke. Invention as a Social Act. Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP, 1987.
- Myers, Greg. “Reality, Consensus, and Reform in the Rhetoric of Composition Teaching.” ColÂlege English 48 (Feb. 1986): 154-71.
- Petraglia, Joseph. “Interrupting the Conversation: The Constructionist Dialogue in ComposiÂtion.” Journal of Advanced Composition 11.1 (Winter 1991): 37-55.
- Rorty, Richard. Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity. New York: Cambridge UP, 1989.
- —. Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature. Princeton: Princeton UP, 1979.
- —. “Pragmatism, Davidson, and Truth.” Truth and interpretation: Perspectives on the PhilosoÂphy of Donald Davidson. Ed. Ernest LePore. New York: Blackwell, 1986. 333-55.
- —. “Science as Solidarity.” The Rhetoric of the Human Sciences: Language and Argument in
- Scholarship and Public Affairs. Ed. John S. Nelson, Allan Megill, and Donald N. McCloskey. Madison: U of Wisconsin P, 1987. 38-52.
- Trimbur, John. “Consensus and Difference in Collaborative Learning.” College English 51 (Oct. 1989): 602-16.
- Wallach, John R. “Liberals, Communitarians, and the Tasks of Political Theory.” Political TheÂory 15 (Nov. 1987): 581-611.
Recchio, Thomas E. “A Bakhtinian Reading of Student Writing.” CCC 42.4 (1991): 446-454.
ccc42.4 SFreud Discourse Students Taboo Incest Papers Reading Language Texts Modes MBakhtin Child Father
- Bakhtin, M. M. “Discourse in the Novel.” The Dialogic Imagination. Trans. Caryl Emerson and Michael Holquist. Ed. Michael Holquist. Austin: U of Texas P, 1981. 259-422.
- Freud, Sigmund. “Taboo and the Ambivalance of Emotion.” Ways of Reading. Ed. David Bartholomae and Anthony Petrosky. New York: St. Martin’s, 1987. 253-95.
- Scholes, Robert. Textual Power. New Haven: Yale UP, 1985.
Roemer, Marjorie, Lucille M. Schultz, and Russel K. Durst. “Portfolios and the Process of Change.” CCC 42.4 (1991): 455-469.
ccc42.4 Teachers Students Portfolios System Assessment Writing Papers Standards Evaluation
- Belanoff, Patricia, and Marcia Dixon, eds. Portfolio Grading: Process and Product. Upper Montclair: Boynton/Cook, 1991.
- Belanoff, Patricia, and Peter Elbow. “Using Portfolios to Increase Collaboration and CommuniÂty in a Writing Program.” Writing Program Administration. 9.1-2 (Fall/Winter 1986): 27-40.
- Camp, Roberta, and Denise Stavis Levine. “Portfolios Evolving: Background and Variations.” Seventh Annual National Testing Conference on Language and Literacy Assessment. Montreal, Nov. 1989.
- Camp, Roberta. “Thinking Together About Portfolios.” The National Writing Project/Center for the Study of Writing Quarterly. 12.2 (Mar. 1990): 8-14, 27.
- Cuban, Larry. How Teachers Taught: Constancy and Change in American Classroom, 1890-1980. New York: Longman, 1984.
- Daiker, Donald, Jeff Sommers, Gail Stygall, and Laurel Black. “A Program in Portfolio WritÂing Assessment.” Report on a grant from the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education, United States Department of Education.
- Dixon, John. Plenary Session. Seventh Annual National Testing Conference on Language and Literacy Assessment. Montreal, Nov. 1989.
- Elbow, Peter, and Patricia Belanoff. “Using Portfolios to Judge Writing Proficiency at SUNY Stony Brook.” New Directions in College Writing Programs. Ed. Paul Connolly and Teresa VilÂardi. New York: MLA, 1986. 95-105.
- Fullan, Michael. The Meaning of Educational Change. New York: Teachers College P, 1982.
- General Certificate of Secondary Education English Syllabus B for the 1989 Examination. Manchester, Gt. Brit.: Northern Examining Association, [c. 1989].
- Miles, Matthew B. Innovation in Education. New York: Teachers College P, 1964.
- Murphy, Sandra, and Mary Ann Smith. “Talking About Portfolios.” The National Writing ProjÂect/Center for the Study of Writing Quarterly. 12.2 (Mar. 1990): 1-3, 24-27.
- Portfolio, The Newsletter of Arts Propel. 1. 5 (Dec. 1989). The Pittsburgh Public Schools.
- Smit, David W. “Evaluating a Portfolio System.” Writing Program Administration. 14.1-2 (Fall/Winter 1990): 51-62.
- Vermont Writing Assessment: The Portfolio. Draft. Montpelier: Vermont State Department of EduÂcation, 1989.