CCCC is calling on its members to take part in our Wikipedia Initiative. As one of the five most visited websites in the world, Wikipedia has emerged within living memory as a key knowledge-broker and perception-shaper for readers and writers worldwide. Writing expert knowledge into Wikipedia is one important way we can address knowledge gaps, imbalances, and misinformation online.
Established in 2019, the CCCC Wikipedia Initiative proceeds from the conviction that it matters to edit Wikipedia, especially for academics committed to knowledge equity as a fundamental groundwork for social justice. CCCC Wikipedia Initiative is working to develop skills, cultivate inclusive community, and build structures of support and recognition for for past, present, and future CCCC members who recognize the importance of engaging with Wikipedia as a form of global public humanities scholarship.
The core goal of the CCCC Wikipedia Initiative is to foster the cultural shift, community building, and collaboration necessary for our profession to develop high-quality Wikipedia articles that expand the audiences of our research and scholarship to broad publics. To this end, we aim to:
- Expand Wikipedia’s coverage of topics related to writing research and pedagogy to be comprehensive and current with major conversations in published scholarship;
- Verify that article content is based on reliable secondary sources and represents disciplinary controversies and consensus with attention to issues of knowledge equity;
- Revise and edit toward article quality measures for Good Article or Featured Article status.
Learn about the work of the CCCC Wikipedia Initiative Committee.
Get Support for Teaching with Wikipedia
Interested in teaching with Wikipedia? The Wiki Education Foundation offers training modules as well as editing/tech support for you and your students. Wikipedia-based writing and research assignments can be amazing opportunities to make student writing valuable beyond the classroom in both graduate and undergraduate courses. The information and ideas you teach deserve a global audience. Apply here.
- CCCC Wikipedia Initiative online: Programs and Events dashboard, Meetup page, WikiProject Writing
- Wikipedia Help: Overview, How should experts engage with Wikipedia?
- Community: The Signpost
- Research: Wikimedia Research Showcase