Michael Faris, Chair
Marcos Del Hierro
March 2018 Update
The committee worked with WPA-GO to develop mentorship opportunities at CCCC in Kansas City, including a very successful Mentoring@Cs event that paired graduate student mentees with mentors in the field. Committee members organized a preconference workshop for CCCC 2018, titled “Your Transition Toolkit: Successfully Moving from Graduate Student to Early Career Professional,” to provide mentoring opportunities for graduate students and early career faculty members. The committee runs a website at http://www.4csogs.org/ to share resources with graduate student members.
We’ve drafted a comprehensive report on our survey results, shared with the Executive Committee in November 2014.
The CCCC Committee on the Status of Graduate Students is charged with promoting and supporting ongoing understanding about all aspects of teaching, graduate study, research, publication, professional development, professional hiring and other issues relevant to the well-being of graduate students as a vital component of our discipline and of the CCCC membership.
1. To gather information about the needs of graduate students in CCCC. This might include:
- polling membership regarding the effectiveness of CCCC in meeting the needs of graduate students
- identifying other professional academic organizations that have substantial interest in graduate student issues in the humanities and determine what actions they’ve engaged in that CCCC could adapt to suit its own needs reviewing the history of the CCCC with respect to its activities on behalf of graduate students
- survey scholarship in the discipline of Rhetoric & Writing in order to identify work that specifically addresses graduate student issues
- other actions appropriate to the task as the Committee sees fit
2. Identify graduate student concerns that should be brought to the attention of the CCCC Officers and Executive Committee or to the general membership;
3. Recommend appropriate actions to the CCCC Officers and Executive Committee. This might include position statements, support mechanisms, professional development or research opportunities, and future charges for this committee.