The CCCC Executive Committee is seeking a volunteer to serve in the role of Parliamentarian. The Parliamentarian is a nonvoting member of the Executive Committee who ensures that official CCCC meetings are run in accordance with Alice Sturgis’s The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure.
Application Deadline: October 4, 2023
- Selection Process: The Parliamentarian is selected by the current members of the Officers’ Committee from a pool of volunteers. The Parliamentarian is selected using the following criteria:
- Relevant experience with committee and governance leadership within a department, university, or at the national level
- Engagement with the CCCC organization (committee service, presenting at the Annual Convention, etc.)
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Preferably, familiarity with parliamentary procedure
- Introduces incoming Executive Committee members to and advises them on meeting procedures.
- Ensures business meetings are conducted in an orderly, transparent, and equitable fashion according to Alice Sturgis’s The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure.
- Guides Officers and Executive Committee members through the rules of conduct.
- Offers support to all Officers and Executive Committee members regarding proposed motions and amendments.
- Identifies actions on the floor that are out of compliance with procedure and offers alternatives.
- Term of Office: The Parliamentarian serves a three-year term, staggered with previous and incoming Parliamentarians. The term for the Parliamentarian selected in 2023 begins Monday, December 18, 2023, and concludes in December 2026.
- Time Commitment: The CCCC Executive Committee meets in person twice annually, during the NCTE Annual Convention (November) and the CCCC Annual Convention (spring). The CCCC Executive Committee typically meets two to three times annually in virtual format. The CCCC Parliamentarian also serves in an advisory capacity to the CCCC Resolutions Committee (CCCC Annual Convention); advises and assists the CCCC Chair during the CCCC Annual Business Meeting (CCCC Annual Convention), including helping to prepare the script; and has a key role in the CCCC Executive Committee Orientation (typically held virtually in the fall).
- Funding: The CCCC Parliamentarian receives reimbursement for travel, as well as both a per diem and reimbursement for lodging on days when services are requested to participate in official CCCC business.
- All CCCC members are eligible to apply. Applicants must be members of CCCC at the time of application and maintain CCCC membership through the position term.