SJAC Mission Statement:
The Social Justice at the Convention (SJAC) Committee is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion, equity, fairness, access, and equal representation in all aspects of our profession and in all the communities that we inhabit. We promote and advance these principles through education and activism at our annual convention: opposing racism and other forms of systemic oppression, providing forums for those whose voices have been silenced or marginalized, and promoting cultural change that will guarantee equal opportunities for all, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexuality, or national origin.
Antonio Byrd, Co-Chair
TBD, 2024 Co-Chair (Local Arrangements Chair)
Social Justice at the Convention Committee (SJAC)
General Charge: Promotes and advances principles of diversity, inclusion, equity, fairness, access, and equal representation in all aspects of the profession and in all the communities that are inhabited through education and activism at the Annual Convention.
- Works with the Associate Chair to understand their vision for the CCCC Annual Convention and to collaboratively outline a scope for the SJAC’s efforts at the convention.
- Collaborates with the Local Arrangements Committee Chair, CDICC, and CCCC Caucuses to develop social justice and local engagement activities that complement the convention theme.
- Promotes participation and engagement in SJAC-sponsored activities at the CCCC Annual Convention and supports an inclusive conference culture.
- Creates opportunities for CCCC attendees to connect with activist communities in convention cities.
- Sponsors an annual panel that features local activists and organizations.
- Members will serve three-year terms.
- Chair: Selects members in consultation with administrative committee chairs and is responsible for fulfilling or delegating its charges.
- Members: Assist Chair in fulfilling the responsibilities of its charges.
Social Justice at the Convention Case Study, Hazelwood, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (PDF)